The beginning of The Intimate Apparel Square Club, Inc.
Formed January 5th 1955 by 17 Masons from various Master Lodges who had affiliations in the Lingerie Industry. It was formed to continue with charities within our own industry to help those qualified organizations, and those in need who found it difficult to help themselves.
The following were the 17 Charter Members in alphabetical order: Joseph J. Banner, Jerry Bassin, Alan Borenstein, Samuel Cohen, Arthur Davis, Harry C. Durando, Bernard Gendal Al Jaffin, Jack I. Kleinberg, Adolph Kohn, Jacob Lowenthal, Seymour Rosenberg, George Rosenblum, Harvey Rosenblum, Benjamin Stallman, David Yates, Louis Stamm. The first president was Harry C, Durando, 1955 & 1956 and the second was Al Jaffin 1957 Joe Ferrara, and Bob Nathan were not charter members but joined in 1955 and in year 2002 both served the club for 47 years. The word Square in our name comes from the tools of the stone mason as underlined below under (A note about Masonry) (A compass and a square which is our symbol).
The following was taken from the original constitution.
1. To unite members of the Masonic Fraternity of the Lingerie and affiliated industries into a closer fellowship.
2. To promote within its membership a social program exemplifying the principals of Brotherhood as taught in our Fraternity.
3. To participate in activities which will create and maintain amongst our neighbors a favorable opinion of the worth of the Masonic Order.
4. To aid the less fortunate by contributions to recognized charities and causes.
In addition to PURPOSE the original constitution includes and defines MEMBERSHIP, and has 5 Articles addressing Meetings, Officers, Committees, Dues, and Amendments.
A note about Masonry.
Freemasonry is the world's oldest and largest Fraternity. While its traditions look back to earliest history, Masonry in its current form appeared when its public events were noticed by the residents of London, England in 1717. Freemasonry' singular purpose is to make good men better and its bonds of friendship, compassion and brotherly love have survived even the most divisive political, military and religious conflicts through the centuries.
Freemasonry is neither a forum nor a place of worship. It is not a religion nor does it teach a religious philosophy. For nearly three hundred years it has attracted men of high moral character who support the tenets of temperance, fortitude, prudence and justice. The fraternity of Freemasonry endorses free public education, encourages self-improvement, promotes patriotism and respect for the Constitution, sanctions equal rights under the law, practices good will towards all men, and contributes generously to philanthropies. Employing the tools of the stone mason as symbols of basic moral truths. Masonic rituals dramatizes a philosophy of life based on morality.
Notes of Special Interest:
When the Original Constitution was written the Dues were $5.00 per year.
In the early years most of the charities we supported were for Blind organizations.
In 1957 we had our first formal Dinner Dance. We netted about $5,000.
In 1977 we were introduced to Dr. Howard Rusk, who founded the Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine in year 1948, to help children with serious disabilities. As a group we took a very special interest in these children and worked with them one on one. We provided many things for them that would help in their rehabilitation such as televisions, medical equipment, and other items that helped make their lives a little better.
In 1977 we also took an interest in New York University Center for Students with Disabilities. We set up Scholarship Funds which we still continue with. Each year we meet with the students at lunch and talk about their progress.
1982 gave us our first lady member Claire Tiberti. Six months later Lyla Dolgin became a member. We now have many very active hard working lady members who bring a lot to the club. Several years later membership was opened to other non-affiliated industries.
In 1991 the first Al Jaffin award was given to honor members who have given unselfishly to further the goals and ideals of the club.
September 23rd 1991 Excerpts taken from an address by Dr. Mathew Lee at the Dedication of the 5 South Children's Pavilion.
"Many of you in the audience have celebrated with us for years together with members of The Intimate Apparel Square Club at Children's Christmas and Easter Parties. However, not all of you may know that this fantastic group of garment-industry businessmen have been staunch friends and loyal supporters of the children of NYU Medical Center and the Rusk Institute for over twenty five years! I have never met more kind, more caring, more altruistic or more generous people - who simply want to help the segment of our society that is most unable to help themselves; not just any children, but physically disabled children. We are most fortunate that they have chosen to help those children in our care.
Over the years, their gifts, totaling over $700,000 so far, have supported research projects, training of pediatric rehabilitation residents, purchase of needed medical equipment, and several creative Child-Life programs. I want to express the deep appreciation and gratitude of all of us to the Club members — present and absent — for their steadfast continued support and commitment to the children of the Medical Center and Rusk and their faith in our commitment to excellence all these years.
May 1991 the Club has made a formal 10 year commitment of one million dollars — which is the reason we celebrate today. Their support will enable us to continue the research, training and pediatric rehabilitation programs for children in Tisch and Rusk, but in addition it will allow refurbishing of facilities on the 5-South floor, such as the dining-game room and a teen room."
March 15th 1995 Intimate Apparel Square Club, Inc. received a Prestigious Award from New York University and was added to Charter Members of the Sir Harold Acton Society.
The following article was taken from the newspaper in 1995.
A PRESTIGIOUS AWARD
It isn't often an industry-wide association gets international recognition for not only the work it does for others, but also for the monies it raises to help very worthy causes.
In this case it is the undisputed champion of industry charity givers-the Intimate Apparel Square Club and its entire membership-all walking around with well-deserved halos.
How did the Intimate Apparel Square Club gain all this wonderful recognition? It wasn't easy and it took years and years of hard work and zest by a covey of dedicated (and we mean dedicated) workers, who produced gala dinner/dances, well-subscribed-to-souvenir journals and a headstrong will "to help those who cannot help themselves."
Cited By NYU
The accolades the Square Club recently received are indeed remarkable. The Club was cited by New York University for the unselfish work and monies it makes available to Rusk Institute for Rehabiliation Medicine.
The club, it is revealed, fits in with such other $1 million donors as IBM Corporation, The Japan Foundation, The American Heart Foundation, The Charles Revson Foundation, The Riklis Family Foundation, The Andrew Mellon Foundation, The Ford Foundation and about 60 other well endowed individuals, foundations and organizations.
In 1998 we established and gave the first H.U.G. award to the Guest of Honor at The Intimate Apparel Square Club's Annual Dinner Dance. In the past years we presented the Guest of Honor with Plaques, and more recently Steuben Fine Crystal.
In 1998 with great support from The Intimate Apparel Square Club the Rusk Institute opened the Children's Play Garden designed for the children with disabilities.
Additional commitment made above what was given in the past.
On May 12th 1999 our 44th Annual Dinner was the kick-off event for our campaign to raise $6 million for the pediatric department of a new NYU Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine. This new Rusk Institute pediatric department will be the most advanced, patient-friendly, university-based rehabilitation facility in the world.
In view of the many changes that were made since 1955, The Intimate Apparel Square Club's Constitution was rewritten about five years ago to accommodate all the changers. (See Constitution.)